1. What paint is made from?
Four ingredients- pigments, resins, solvents, and additives are mixed together to make paint. The pigment gives the paint the desired color whereas additives, as well as resins, are the glue that keeps all the items bonded together. Finally solvent is the mixture that gives the paint the right consistency. One of the key differences between quality paint and cheap paint is that there is more solvent in cheap paints which means that they evaporate away more easily than their high-quality counterparts.
2. What are different types of paints?
Now there are two types of paints:
Water-based paints: they are best for use at your home. Also known as latex, these are eco-friendly paints and have a long-lasting effect.
Oil-based paints: They are oil-based and are appropriate for areas that come in contact with moisture or water. They are less environment-friendly than water-based paints.
3. What are different types of paint finishes?
Paint finish or paint sheen is a very important factor to consider. This is the final look of the paint when it completely dries. Some of the paint finishes available in the market include:
- Matte Paint: This is the least shining paint finish but is the most commonly used one, it is perfect for almost all surfaces of the house.
- Eggshell Paint: A mixture of gloss and matte paint finish. This appears like the eggshell and hence the name.
- Satin Paint: This is a glossier version of an eggshell paint finish.
- Semi-gloss Paint: Ideal for kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and other areas of similar nature. They are very moisture resistant.
- Gloss Paint: High sheen paint that is perfect to apply on trim, doors, and cabinets.
It is best to consult with a commercial painting contractor when choosing the right paint for your house. The painters have the experience and knowledge to offer you the right suggestion and enable you to transform your home completely.